Badgers Tennis Club is a small but delightful Club in the centre of Kemp Town Brighton Sussex and is situated in a walled garden overlooked by St Marks Church. Building on 120 years of history.Badgers has been named after the nocturnal creatures who sometime visit. Badgers offers players the perfect environment to enjoy the game.
The Club has three all weather courts which are floodlit and one carpet court. Two practice walls are alongside court one.
The Clubhouse has a licensed bar offering food and drink including hot meals. The Club has excellent changing facilities. Badgers has a full programme of activities including group and individual coaching, tournaments, social events and Club afternoons with, of course, tea and cakes. Two mens and two ladies teams compete in the Sussex County League.
THINGS WERE A LITTLE DIFFERENT IN 1895
The Club dates back more than a century starting life as the Kemp Town Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club in about 1895. A monthly subscription cost a modest £1.4s.0d, but children, dogs & play on Sunday were definitely not allowed. Taking tea has been a favourite pastime since the earliest days. At first, members were permitted to bring a footman with a hamper. But the demand for refreshments was so brisk that in 1911 the Club engaged “Mrs Miles and a maid” to cope. During the First World War, wounded officers convalescing by the sea played here to help their recovery. But in the Second World War the “Dig for Victory” campaign saw some of the courts turned into vegetable plots. The original Club closed in 1997 with dwindling membership and escalating costs, but “Badgers” has built on its venerable past and is proving to be a great hit with the members. If you would like to learn more local history, The Kemp Town Society helps preserve the beautiful Kemp Town Estate.